Thoughts about the MK3

The Prusa i3 was designed by Josef Průša in 2012 with the Prusa i3 MK2 being released in 2016. The Prusa i3's comparable low cost and ease of construction and modification has made it popular in education and with hobbyists and professionals.
MaxRink

Thoughts about the MK3

Post by MaxRink » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:43 pm

IMO it looks p dope. And if definitly going to upgrade most of my MK2S clone to the parts of the MK3
I have one issue with it tho:
its still an ATMEGA, which basically wastes the TMC2130s, as you cant run them on native 256 microstepping ( interpolation enabled usually creates a high pitched sound on the "power"-mode)

Tsunamijuan

Re: Thoughts about the MK3

Post by Tsunamijuan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:25 am

I like the look of the changes in part they are playing catch up to a lot of the most common mods made to 3d printers in the Serious DIY market. Which is a good thing. I think everyone needs protection against running out of filament. Its certain helps prevent against having to check printers so much and the difference in spool lengths of different filament types.

The biggest thing is they have finally gotten rid of the flimsy base under the bed. Its probably less expensive too considering how cheap Tslot is these days. While also moving to more metal components for the frame. What Can i say i was never a fan of the threaded rod and nuts used to set distances. It was a rather crude carry over from the early reprap design.

The switch to 24volts is great, 24volt beds and hot end have a much faster warm up time. I am not sure how i feel about the 256 microstepping i have played around with it on some printers before. But it should lighten the load on the controller a bit. It would be nice to see them adopt the newer ARM based arduino controllers that have much great mathematical capabilities and 3.3volt logic. Partly cause this would mean that the adoption rate for these controllers would then increase bringing more compute power into the printers. Without having to go to something like smoothieware.

It sounds like they have finally realized that for what they are charging and the size of their company now, that there are better ways to do things.

slippyr4

Post by slippyr4 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:28 am

I suspect that the decision to stick with RAMBo (albeit a new version) is because of the investment they have in their marlin fork. To change architecture would mean starting again with a new firmware base and that might lose some of their competitive advantage.
Self-built Prusa i3 MK2 clone
My things: https://www.thingiverse.com/slippyr4/designs
My Prusa firmware port for ramps & MKS : https://github.com/slippyr4/Prusa-Firmware

MaxRink

Post by MaxRink » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:41 am

slippyr4 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:28 am
I suspect that the decision to stick with RAMBo (albeit a new version) is because of the investment they have in their marlin fork. To change architecture would mean starting again with a new firmware base and that might lose some of their competitive advantage.
Well, take a look into the 2.0 branches of marlin. The HAL is mostly working and it should be somewhat manageable to bring prusas branch up to that.

And I actually didn't mind the M10 /m8 TR-construction, done right (nyloc nuts, torque wrench e.g. ) it's plenty stiff.

I'm probably going to order the MK2.5 upgrade kit as soon as it gets available, as just sourcing the bondtechgear, a comparable Lasersensor and a tempcorrected inductive probe would run me roughly the same as the kit with a Heated Bed on top (albeit being the 12V when I run a 12+24V Dual PSU setup)

Tsunamijuan

Post by Tsunamijuan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:17 pm

slippyr4 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:28 am
They are not using the rambo on the mk3, But they are still using the older base Microntroller. The New ARM based Arduinos mostly just require pin remapping and 3.3v logic voltages. The pololu style stepper Drivers already support 3.3v logic. Marlin is already so modular to begin with that the adoption of high modular code of a custom nature is quite easy. Without the need to fork the software.

slippyr4

Post by slippyr4 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:22 pm

i think you both miss my point;

they already did fork marlin, a long time ago. they've ripped a lot of stuff out and put a lot of different stuff in (for the calibration stuff, for their custom menu stuff and more recently, the multimaterial stuff). it's completely impracticable to merge all the upstream stuff in marlin now, they'd have to fork again and re-add their custom stuff in all likelihood.

Not sure i've ever heard marlin described as modular though; it's more frequently described as a bit of a mess.
My Prusa firmware port for ramps & MKS : https://github.com/slippyr4/Prusa-Firmware

MaxRink

Post by MaxRink » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:27 pm

Well, take a look into the 2.0 branch. It's reorganized and cleaned up so bringing up their changes to that base should definitely be doable for prusa

slippyr4

Post by slippyr4 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:28 pm

Sure, if they wanted to put a lot of time and effort in, they could. But it'd virtually be starting from scratch.

Olvr76

Post by Olvr76 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:19 am

After 3 months of waiting, and the 3rd new delay from Prusa Research, I've just cancelled my order for the MK3 kit I4ve been waiting since October, and which was then supposed to start shipping BEGINNING of NOVEMBER. then beginning became end of November, then December, then mid January, and now end of January. I4m so fed up with Joe Prusa behaving like a Queen and assuming all his customers are just there to please his oversized ego.

moojuiceuk

Post by moojuiceuk » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:28 am

Looking at the MK3 order spreadsheet on their forum, I can see orders are being forfilled today for orders placed on 21/10/17. I placed my order mid December, so I won't be getting mine for another month or so I suspect.

I can see they have struggled with the MK3 - various quality issues with parts - rod hardness, PSU failures, firmware flaws. Feels like the early users are beta testers. Whilst I can see they are working on these things, there does seem to be very little official word from Josef on the problems - the old saying of s*%t happens - its how you handle it and how you keep the customer informed which makes the difference!

What I also don't like is that Prusa take the GBP699 + shipping on card payment in full and don't deliver a product for months. Glad I've done that on a Credit Card for section 75 cover.