Need opinion

Have an issue you can't figure out on your own?
Jsexton

Need opinion

Post by Jsexton » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:00 pm

So I've been looking at getting a 3d printer for a while. I am trying to decide whether to build Tom's "dolly" 3d printer or purchasing something like the anet a8. What do you guys think would be the better decision? I want a decent quality printer, of course.. But I don't want to spend $500 on one. I've already got some threaded rods that I purchased and I've had the 3d printed parts for the dolly already printed.. But I've done some research on the a8 and they seem to be going for about $200 or so. With some upgrades, I've read they can be decent.

Or can you recommend any other options? I thought it would be cool to build the dolly to learn how things go together, but if I'm not getting any better quality than I would rather just purchase one.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Moorviper

Re: Need opinion

Post by Moorviper » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:52 pm

Build a dolly i3

A friend bought the A8 this thing is crap.
the power supply
the connectors
the frame
the display with that dump buttons -> the wheel is much better ;-)
the board.

I don't think that the anet A8 can be a good printer for 200$ incl. the mods.
I think it would be at least 250$ because you can throw away most of this crap.

i builded a second dolly for 92€ (without a display) excl. the printed parts ( costs 2,5€ inkl. energy)
and it is much better than the stock A8, too.

Jsexton

Post by Jsexton » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:15 pm

Yeah, I definitely would rather build the dolly. I've already bought parts for it. From what I was reading, it was a guide to build the cheapest possible printer so I wasn't sure about the quality. I don't mind spending a little more to make it better. I don't like the wooden frame that much, but after thinking about it, that would be more sturdy than acrylic or anything like that. So I think I'll continue ordering the parts for the dolly. I had the modified pieces and everything printed out at my library. Just have to buy smooth rods and electronics and stuff.

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:24 am

I'm building a second generation of Dollys from my first Dolly build. They are solid printers, readily upgradable as your needs change. You will also have plenty of support here if you run into any trouble.

-S

Jsexton

Post by Jsexton » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:26 am

That sounds great. I really appreciate it. I'll stick with the dolly. Upgradability is what I was looking for. Where do you guys buy your smooth rods from? I actually found a listing on Amazon that doesn't seem too bad. It's the chrome gcr15 8mm two 370mm two 350mm and two 320mm for 35.99 with 5.99 shipping. I looked at a bunch of different sites but had a hard time finding what I was looking for. I bought my threaded rods from McMaster carr and found those pretty easily.

chumm

Post by chumm » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm

Hey, idk if you've already ordered but if you're in the US I just bought this set.
This is a set of 6 rods cut to your preferred lengths and you can include linear bearings in the set. Mine are arriving today, I'll update this if there's any problems. This shop is good with shipping, they just charge you a single shipping charge for however many things you order. You can get them from China for a bit cheaper of course, but I've definitely received bent rods and rough bearings in my aliexpress orders.

Jsexton

Post by Jsexton » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:01 pm

I haven't ordered yet. That's awesome. Thanks! It's a little more than the set I found on Amazon but if its higher quality. And comes with decent bearings, I'd much rather do that.

chumm

Post by chumm » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:37 am

Jsexton wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:01 pm
I haven't ordered yet. That's awesome. Thanks! It's a little more than the set I found on Amazon but if its higher quality. And comes with decent bearings, I'd much rather do that.
Yeah they came out nice. One of the six rods had the slightest wobble to it, the other 5 were perfect. I ordered 8 linear bearings and they were all good, which is way better than the ~50% success rate I've had buying 12-packs on Aliexpress.

PlasticGeek

Post by PlasticGeek » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:35 pm

Moorviper wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:52 pm
What a pity, just had a plan to buy it.

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:23 am

PlasticGeek wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:35 pm
Moorviper wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:52 pm
What a pity, just had a plan to buy it.
My brother bought a anycubic i3 mega. Its slightly more expensive than the A8, but Ive had it for while for testing, and I was quite impressed by it. Print quality is 95% as good as my orginal MK2s at 1/3 the price and 1/30th the assembly time. Its also less noisy, has some minor feature advantages like filament sensor and I love the build platform material; at least for PLA and petg it works even better than PEI.

Ive not tested the machine with ABS or more exotic materials, I suspect the heatbed will take a while to get up to temperature and the clone hotend may or may not give you trouble, but for PLA I will give it two thumbs up.