Infills with a bigger second nozzle, how?

3D Modelling, Slicing, Hosts and Management
pasi.reina

Infills with a bigger second nozzle, how?

Post by pasi.reina » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:16 pm

I have very large prints, with lots of thick areas for durabilty, thus they are utterly painfully slow to make... Soooo, i thought i'l just do the infills with a larger second nozzle. I also have quite a lot of fine surface details so i cant do everything on a big nozzle.

I'm using S3D as a slicer but it has a problem, the large infills seem to be "easy to do" but it completely forgets the smaller parts, leaving the print hollow around the small details.

Is there a way to infill the large "open areas" with the bigger nozzle and small areas with the regular nozzle?

My setup is dual volcanos. One 0.4mm and 1mm for the infills
KAHVA - Copy.jpg
KAHVA - Copy.jpg (215.34 KiB) Viewed 2115 times

Narnash

Re: Infills with a bigger second nozzle, how?

Post by Narnash » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:43 pm

There is a setting that could help you in some way, under the tab "supports" called "Print Support Every X Layers" If you set it to Print Support Every 2 Layers for example and use a regular layer hight of 0,4 mm on you support extruder it will print every 2nd layer with the double layerhight so 0,8 mm. If you set print support every 3 layers it will print the support every three layers with a tripple of your set layerhight ....

An actual setting which distinguish between fine detail support structures and large area support is, I think ... unheard of till this date. For S3D you still have to define which extruder you want to use for your supports, even though I heared they are developing on support structures which are printed with one extruder (may be the main printing extruder) for the major part while printing the fine details and dense support layers with the other one. The reason behind this is to reduce the amount of PVA filmanet (or solveable filament in general) used for cheaper printing (I guess this system could be exploited for your interests, too)

BTW
I actually don't have that much experience printing with 2 different nozzle sizes at the same time, but I think that you could throw of S3D if you set an impossible layer constellation on your two nozzles with this setting (as you may can imagine).
AKA 0.4 mm nozzle with a layerhight of 0.25mm, 1.0 mm nozzle with a layerhight of 0.4 mm and printing supports every 2 layers for example. Since the 0.25 mm layerhight at the small nozzle can't replicate the multiplied support hight.

Good luck I hope I could help!

pasi.reina

Post by pasi.reina » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:31 pm

Not supports, infills.

Not layer height so much, more layer width.

Small areas with small nozzle.
Big areas with a big nozzle.

lowfat

Post by lowfat » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:41 pm

Why not just increase the infill line width to something substantially larger? With a 0.5mm nozzle I've used 1.2mm line width for infill w/o issues. Well besides the infill looking rather messy.

ronka

Post by ronka » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:23 am

pasi.reina

Post by pasi.reina » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:28 pm

Making wider infill is easy, but how do I fill the narrow spots, THAT is the problem.

How do I make the smaller nozzle fill the small bits and the big one the wider areas?

Small areas are left hollow

ronka

Post by ronka » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:36 pm

Imho the only way to make this work is to not design tight spots in the first place..
you should adapt your designs keeping in mind a minimal width of the construction.
Minimal width is 4 perimiter lines beeing 1.6mm; bigger makes unfilled space..
Next usable width should be equal to 4 perimiter lines plus 1 infil line.. so minimal 4x0.4+1=2.6mm..
For true solid infill (no wobbly infil lines as in the picture) keep adding the infill nozzlesize.
build walls in 1,6mm or 2.6mm or 3.6mm or 4.6mm etc.

At least, thats my theory :ugeek:

pasi.reina

Post by pasi.reina » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:35 pm

ronka wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:36 pm
Imho the only way to make this work is to not design tight spots in the first place..
you should adapt your designs keeping in mind a minimal width of the construction.
Minimal width is 4 perimiter lines beeing 1.6mm; bigger makes unfilled space..
Next usable width should be equal to 4 perimiter lines plus 1 infil line.. so minimal 4x0.4+1=2.6mm..
For true solid infill (no wobbly infil lines as in the picture) keep adding the infill nozzlesize.
build walls in 1,6mm or 2.6mm or 3.6mm or 4.6mm etc.

At least, thats my theory :ugeek:
Cant really "adapt" the designs anymore than i have now.

ronka

Post by ronka » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:53 am

than, to say it gently.. you are F#ct..

the only option with simplify3d is to do a feature request to make an extra infill layer for small nozzle that covers the unfilled parts left by the big infill.( total infill - big infill = small infill... simple enough id say :lol: )
and hope for the best..